Are you a Tucsonan enrolled in Grades 5-12?
Would you like a cash prize of $75, $50, or $25?
Enter the Tucson Zines #SpeakUp Writing Challenge!
How to Enter:
1. Choose a problem/challenge that you have observed in Tucson.
2. Write, draw, or create an art piece about it. Poetry, song, short story, essay, newspaper advertisement, ceramic, painting, video — you choose your genre and create it.
3. Complete the Write-up:
- Your name, age, grade level, school, contact info
- Your parent/guardian name and contact info
- Title of your piece
- 50 word write up that states your problem/challenge and explains why you chose it.
4. Submit it in one of the three following ways:
- Post it on the Tucson Zines Facebook page (www.facebook.com/tucsonzines)
- Email it to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Snail mail it to Tucson Zines, 917 E Pastime Road, Tucson, AZ 85719
Note: If it is a 3-D art piece, photos are acceptable. Include a 360 video if possible.
SUBMISSION DEADLINE: SEPTEMBER 20, 2018
There are three rounds of judging/scoring. Submissions that do not meet the criteria of previous rounds will not be continued to the next round, so be sure to complete all parts from the “How To Enter” guidelines.
Round One: Content
- The challenge/problem is described (who, what, where, when, why, how).
- The challenge/problem is relevant to Tucsonans.
- The submission shows that the problem/challenge affects Tucsonans (Hint: Use sensory language/images).
- The Write-up is complete.
Round Two: Technical
- All parts of the “How To Enter” are complete.
- Submission is scored for grammar, mechanics, punctuation (Note: The use of stylistic language is acceptable).
Round Three: Final Round (as necessary)
- In case of a tie, the Final Round of scoring and judging will be necessary. Final round contestants will be notified for next steps.
All participants will be invited to display their submissions, and finalists will be awarded their prizes on October 6 at the Walk For #OurTucson event at 9:30am.
Details for the Walk for #OurTucson event are available at http://www.feliciachew.com/october6
Tucson Zines is a Felicia Chew Community Projects project, whose mission is to end systemic domestic violence. Too often, community members become victims of domestic violence because our community is afraid to #SpeakUp. Tucson Zines #SpeakUp Writing Challenges provide students with the opportunity to build the habit of speaking up.
For more information about ending systemic domestic violence, visit http://www.feliciachew.com/enddv
“We are each a piece of the puzzle of life. Without each of us, our picture is incomplete.”