Yesterday, someone I care deeply about attempted suicide. It was overwhelming. It was a jumble of emotions:
Anger, frustration, helplessness, confusion, sadness, panic, exhaustion, fear, mistrust, suspicion…
… all at the same time, and all at different times … from the individual, and those surrounding the individual.
From my understanding, this individual was bullied emotionally and verbally, placed in the middle of conflict, and felt ignored.
What can we do?
- Stop talking.
- Be present.
- Be honest.
- Expect the unexpected.
- Have empathy.
- Recognize that individual responses to crises are different.
- Don’t judge.
- Be mindful.
- Remember that silence is okay, as loved ones process.
- Recognize what we can control, what we can influence, what we can only have concern for.
- Recognize that we do the best that we can.
- Meet our loved ones where they are.
- Hold their hands.
- Show them they are loved.