Kevin ‘s Story: Kevin is from the U.K. Every year Kevin makes mince pies to share with friends. 🙂
What are mince pies?
“Mince pies are a traditional dessert a sweet pie of British origin, filled with a mixture of dried fruits and spices called “mincemeat”, that is traditionally served during the Christmas season in the English-speaking world. Its ingredients are traceable to the 13th century, when returning European crusaders brought with them Middle Eastern recipes containing meats, fruits and spices.” (Wikipedia)
Mince pies are traditionally eaten with brandy butter — a mixture of brandy, butter, and sugar. We eat them with whipped cream, or plain.
Ingredients: Mince meat; Ready made pie crusts
Materials: Rolling pin; Flour; Cookie Cutters; Muffin Tins, Fork
1. Cut out tops and bottoms of the individual pies
2. Place the bottoms in the muffin tin.
3. Fill the bottom with mincemeat.
4. Put the top over the mincemeat.
5. Seal the mincepie by pressing the tines of a fork along the edges of the top.
6. Use the fork to poke holes into the tops, to allow steam to escape while baking.
7. Gather remaining pie crust into a ball.
8. Sprinkle the work space with flour to prevent the pie crust from sticking to your work space.
9. Roll out the pie crust.
10. Return to step 1 above.
11. Bake the mince pies in a 375 degree preheated oven for 20 minutes.
12. Store mincepies in an airtight container.
Sourcing Your Ingredients:
– Mincemeat available at World Market;
– Pie crusts available in the refrigerated section of local grocery stores.